BrightStart! provides parent-child interaction by way of songs, plays, and presentations to ten high-needs, vulnerable immigrant mothers with children under the age of 48 months. BrightStart! offers structured theme-related activities in two-hour sessions, once a week. The Goals of BrightStart! are to:
- assist mothers in improving social and language skills while caring for their babies/toddlers;
- give mothers tools to provide the essentials of emotional, cognitive and social development for their children;
- stimulate the love of learning;
- increase self-confidence and a feeling of self-worth in both the mother and the child;
- increase mothers' capacity to develop a positive lifestyle through education; and
- assist mothers in developing support systems.